Thursday, September 4, 2014

Last Will and Testament

Despite the label on this tape, it doesn't actually have to do with Testament, the group from the letter. It seems more like August thought it might have been his last recording.
This seems to take place on the same night of the last tape, or at least the early morning after. The journal confirms this. This is... also when April dies. The recording starts suddenly.

August: ...on come on come on you piece of shit. There. Alright. Hello. My name is August. This audio tape may be my last record, and just in case, I want whoever finds it to know what happened here. Me and my Girlfriend Ap... April were... are camping in her uncle's cabin. We came alone, but we're not the only ones out here. Last night... tonight... fuck I don't know it's still dark there's no fucking clocks and jesus fuck fuck fuck.
[There's fast breathing. I can sort of make out August trying to count to ten. I've seen him do it before. It's a coping mechanism for when he feels overwhelmed by something. He's told he only has to do it occassionaly, when things are just way too much for him.]
August: Alright. Slow breathing. There was this man outside. He was naked and covered in blood and he was wearing some sort of goatskin or something. We were going to call the police, but then me and April had a fight, we never got around to it. We ended up sleeping in different rooms. I just woke up to see her outside. I went to call out to her, and there was this blur, like something really fast going by, and she was gone. I think that man took her, so I'm going out to look for her. I've got a fire poker and if I see that fucking bastard I'm going to hit him over the head with it. I know what I'm doing is stupid, but I called the cops and it'll take them 20 fucking minutes to get here. I need to make sure that April is okay, that that fucker isn't raping her or something. I'm... I'm going now. God help me. God help April. And God save that fucker from my wrath if I find him hurting April.
[A good amount of the tape from here on out is the sound of snapping twigs and the brush of something, likely branches. Every now and then, August will call out April's name or shout at the man who took her. Near the end of the tape, August begins to talk again. Before he does though there are different sounds. I really hate to be so blunt, but it sounds like something tearing meat from the bone.]
August (barely whispering): Jesus.
(Louder): Get away from her.
(Louder still): I said get away from her.
(Shouting now): GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM HER YOU BASTARD! GET AWAY! STOP FUCKING EATING HER AND GET AWAY! GO!
[There's a thunk. I think it's August hitting whatever was eating April]
August: Oh god
[There's another thunk, and then it sounds like the recorder hits the ground. There's the sound of something sniffing, then... I can only describe it as laughter, if I can call it that. It almost sounds more like a cross between a growl and some kind of crunching sound, but still almost like laughter. I can hear August beginning to hyperventilate again. Eventually there's the sound of something else dropping to the ground. From here on, August sounds close to tears.]
August: Fuck you. Don't fucking beckon like that. I'm not joining you. I'm not going to eat my fucking girlfriend, so fuck you. Fuck you. Get the fuck away from her. That's right, go. Get outta her you bas... you ba... b... b... ba...
[August breaks down into tears at this point. He's like that until the end of the tape.]

'Stop fucking eating her' That's what he said. Everything I've written down, save for the liberties I've taken with names, is, to the best of my abilities, word for word what is said on these tapes. So that's what he said. 'Stop fucking eating her' I guess it really was that man who killed April. Killed her and ate her. I just don't understand why he would lie about it. He had the tape, he was an eye witness. He could have told the cops, but he didn't, he just said it was an animal attack. Why do that?
I had to listen to this a couple of times, to make sure I heard things right, that I transcribed it correctly. Every time I get to the part where August finds... I feel nauseous. I'm sorry August, I really am, but I'm not even two tapes into the box and already I'm considering just walking away from this. Just take the box, throw it into the back of my car, and drop it off at the dump. If it were anyone else... I probably would.

I'm not going to bother looking for the next tape tonight. It's late. I spent way too much time on this and I'm tired. I'm just going to try and get some sleep. We'll see what happens in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment